What to GIVE Mom on Mother’s Day…
With Mother’s Day right around the corner, I’m sure many of you are starting to think “Oh shoot, what can I get Mom this year?” For almost any gift giving occasion, when possible I recommend the experiential date. This couldn’t hold more true than for a gift for Mom. Think how busy you are! You no longer live under one roof and have a hectic life of your own. Finding time to chat on the phone is even difficult! Even if you do see Mom often, when is it ever just the two of you? Doing something that is just sooo you two?
The past three years I have been spending Mother’s day with both my godmother and Mom. They are best friends and she’s truly a second Mom to me. We always have so much fun! The past few years we dined at our favorite sushi restaurant for a special Mother’s Day brunch; it became a tradition and we loved it. To our disappointment, this tiny spot in Lincoln Park closed down so this year invites endless opportunities of creating a special day for two very important women in my life.
Here are a few thought starters and tips I went through when planning the day for my Moms:
- Do you share a common hobby or interest? My mom introduced me to yoga yet we never get to take a class together. Corepower yoga, here we come!
- Is there an activity that you both loved doing when you were a kid, but haven’t found the time to do so now? Did you and your mom go shopping and hide the “evidence” in the trunk until Dad was gone? (Mom, you’ve taught me so much 🙂 ) Make a day out of hitting up your favorite shops. Did you love baking or cooking together? Check out a class at various cooking schools. I personally love the Chopping Block – you get to cook, learn, AND have a delicious meal. Way better than simply dining out.
- Specials, specials, specials! There are so many events and deals going on for Mother’s Day. Check out what your area has in store. A few of my Chicago favs are the Vosges Haut-Chocolat in Full Bloom event on May 12th (truffles paired with teas and cocktails, count me in!) and the endless pre-fixe brunch options.
- What’s something that your Mom loves but never gets to do? Get her nails done? Catch the latest chick flick at the theatre? Make an outing out of it!
Understanding not everyone can visit their Mom on Mother’s Day, here are a few more ideas that she will just love:
- Shutterfly Photo Album – I love love LOVE Shutterfly. Create a photo album and I promise you, they will send you millions of fabulous coupons for free photos, cards and even albums in the future. It’s a great way to actually do something with your 1,000+ digital photos you have stored on your computer.
- Dogeared Necklace – My GF Britt got me one for my birthday and I fell in love with it’s simplistic beauty. Plus it came with a beautiful message and a necklace for her! I bought my Mom one last year and she wears it all the time – they go with anything. Check out the Mom one’s here.
- Subscription to her favorite magazine + starter gift – Is she looking for a way to get fit? Go with a subscription to Women’s Health or Health magazine. Purchase the magazine and wrap with a yoga mat or cute new work out clothes. Does she love cooking? Go for Food Network or Cooking Light wrapped up with something fabulous like new Le Creuset bakeware.
- Tickets to something fun in the future – Catching my push for making time for each other? Broadway tickets, a cooking or painting class are always fun.
No matter what you decide, by planning just a little in advance you can create the most personalized day and gift. She’ll just love it!
What do you have planned for Mother’s Day? Any gift ideas or favorite restaurants? Do share!